LinkedIn is a good channel for B2B marketing and if you haven’t already considered it in your digital marketing mix you should and this is why:
- LinkedIn is used by Executives and Decision Makers of thousands of companies around the world
- LinkedIn has around 60 million members
- It’s fun and easy!
Let’s see how to exploit LinkedIn in 5 steps:
1) Create your account and Optimise your profile
Of course if you want to work on LinkedIn you have to have an account and a good profile. The Profile page is probably the most important as it’s the first thing that a user will
see. It will also rank on Google and other search engines very well. To optimise your profile page you should:
- Use keywords in your descriptions.
- Include a nice image in your profile.
- Use keywords in your Hyperlinks. For example, instead of “My Site,” use a keyword to describe it such as “Digital Marketing Consultant.”
- Include your blog link and other external sites that will help to engage with the user.
2) Start building your network
If you want to be successful in your Linkedin marketing activity you need to have a strong and engaged network.
- Build a network of contacts.
- Ask your customers and partners to write recommendations.
- Ensure all your employees and freelance are part of your network.
- Create a group for your brand. This way you’ll be able to maximize reach beyond your network. In this group you can share important news on your industry, start discussions, post jobs and more.
3) Use third party applications to exploit LinkedIn
There are lots of third-party applications available on the net that can help you make the most of your LinkedIn marketing. I recommend:
- Portfolio Display: Showcase your creative work in your LinkedIn Profile with the Creative Portfolio Display application. Free, easy to manage, and supports unlimited multimedia content.
- Box.net: Use this app to manage all your important files online. Box.net lets you share content on your profile, and collaborate with friends and colleagues.
- Slideshare: This app is the best way to share presentations on LinkedIn! You can upload & display your own presentations, check out presentations from your colleagues, and find experts within your network.
- Company Buzz: Ever wonder what people are saying about your company? Company Buzz shows you the twitter activity associated with your company. View tweets, trends and top key words. Customize your topics and share with your co-workers.
There are other useful applications that are a must in Social Marketing, that can be used to manage LinkedIn together with other social platforms. My favorite is HootSuite.
Hootsuite will allow you to synchronize and manage all your social profiles with just one panel. I use mine to manage Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. Since I started to use it I saved so much time you can’t even imagine!
4) Engage updating frequently your profile, group page and the rest
If you are using LinkedIn as a Marketing channel, the rules are always the same. You will have to engage with your audience. To do this I suggest to:
- Sync blog posts to your profile with tools like Blog Link or WordPress LinkedIn Application.
- Frequently update your profile with the LinkedIn status feature, much like Facebook status updates.
- Use the LinkedIn applications to enhance your profile and group page with nice add-ons.
5) Promote Your Linkedin Profile and Groups
At the end it’s all about marketing and one of your objectives should be to expand your network.
To do this you should add your LinkedIn profile link in your website, blog, email signature, business cards and why not on your letterheads.
Promote your profile and get people to be part of your network so that you can communicate with them and strategically show them your proposition.
LinkedIn can be exploited even more with its Direct Ads advertising program, where you can reach thousand of targeted decision makers. I will talk about this in another article but you can start to look into it here.
As I said at the beginning of this article, I think that LinkedIn is a valuable tool to create good opportunities, especially in the B2B markets that have their decision makers online. It’s something you can do for free and using some creativity.
If you are new to LinkedIn marketing, don’t be worried. It’s not rocket science. You will find it easy and fun to work with this tool.
If you have other tactics that you have found successful for marketing on LinkedIn don’t hesitate to share them with us.